Monday, October 6, 2008

Matt's Knee Surgery


Matt had his knee surgery on September 25th and it went really well. The doctor was able to remove the cyst and repair the meniscus. The tear was a little more extensive than they originally thought, but they were able to repair it without having to remove tissue which in the long run will be better despite a longer post-op healing time. Matt is doing really well getting around on his crutches and was able to go back to work today. He will be on crutches for the next four weeks and will go to physical therapy once or twice a week.

Matt's first IV ever!



ICE, ICE BABY....THE ICEMAN IN OUR LIFE

The Iceman Cold Therapy unit helps reduce pain and swelling and facilitates rehabilitation. It provides up to 7 hours of continuous cold therapy for a variety of indications.

The hospital sent us home with this gadget. Do not be deceived by it's small appearance. This little "cooler" is like a gas guzzling car. We go through 22 pounds of ice a day to keep this thing operating!!!! I had to do some major rearranging in my freezer and divide the ice into gallon size ziploc bags to make it fit in my freezer. I thought that we would take it home for Matt to use and then return it to the hospital when he no longer needed it (you know, like renting a movie from Blockbuster). But, no it is ours to "keep forever" as the nurse said. What are we going to do with it? When I asked Matt that he said, "Sell it on e-bay." The nurse laughed and agreed. I joked with Matt as he was being given his discharge instructions that he couldn't decide to sell "The Iceman" on e-bay for 24 hours because you are not supposed to make any important decisions before then. I looked it up on e-bay and people are trying to sell these babies for $150!! You know what I could do with $150? The big question is how much did the hospital bill our insurance for this?

2 comments:

adrianne s.

Here is well wishes for a speedy recovery, Matt. Jackson is such a handsome boy and sounds like a sweetie!

Andrea

Oh, hope you aren't in a lot of pain and that you heal quickly! Knee surgery is no fun at all. You have my full empathy Matt! I hope your physical therapy isn't too bad.